Photo: Sean Flynn Photography/Quad City Mallards
The Quad City Mallards have submitted a 21-player protected list to the ECHL, the Mallards announced today. Placing players on the Mallards’ protected list is the start of the process used to reserve the rights to players for the 2017-18 season.
The Mallards have protected 13 forwards: Grant Arnold, Connor Brown, Chris Francis, Nelson Gadoury, Justin Kovacs, Nolan LaPorte, Josh MacDonald, Jack Nevins, Kyle Novak, Michael Parks, Alex Petan, Nathan Todd and Sam Warning; seven defensemen: Jace Coyle, Kevin Gibson, Donnie Harris, Alexander Kuqali, Chris Leibinger, Andrew Panzarella, and Mike Wilson; and one goaltender: C.J. Motte.
Teams are allowed to protect as many players as they wish provided the players protected meet the guidelines as defined in the collective bargaining agreement between the ECHL and the Professional Hockey Players’ Association which state that teams shall retain the rights to each player that:
1. Signed a standard player contract in 2016-17 with the member team, and has not been traded or released, OR
2. Signed an SPC in 2016-17, and was recalled to the National Hockey League/American Hockey League or International Ice Hockey Federation team, and has not been traded or released, OR
3. Had received a qualifying offer last summer for the current season, did not sign an SPC, and has not been traded or released, OR
4. Has been suspended by the member team or the ECHL, and has not been traded or released, OR
5. Signed an SPC on or after the first day of the 2016-17 regular season, then subsequently signed an NHL/AHL contract, and has not been traded or released, OR
6. Has executed the ECHL retirement form, and has not been traded or released.
The ECHL also announced that teams must complete all future consideration trades by 2 p.m. CT on June 13 and that teams must submit their season-ending roster by 2 p.m. CT on June 15.
Season-ending rosters may include up to 20 players and cannot include any players who did not sign an ECHL contract in 2016-17.
The Mallards will open their twenty-first season- and their fourth in the ECHL- on Friday, October 13 against the Toledo Walleye at the iWireless Center. Mallards 2017-18 season tickets are now available. Season ticket holders enjoy significant savings of the walk-up ticket price and receive a host of exclusive benefits. For more season ticket information, fans can contact the Mallards at 309-277-1364 or email@example.com.