The Quad City Mallards today announced a 21-man protected list. Placing players on the Mallards’ protected list is the start of the process used to reserve the rights to players for the 2016-17 season.
The Mallards have protected 14 forwards: Olivier Archambault, Kyle Beach, Anthony Collins, Trevor Cox, Pearce Eviston, Justin Fox, Kevin Henderson, Jordan Knackstedt, Mario Lamoureux, Jeff Lee, Matt Neal, Vladimir Nikiforov, Brent Tate and Sam Warning; five defensemen: Jake Baker, Austin Coldwell, Kevin Gibson, Darren McMillan and Mike Monfredo; one forward/defenseman: Kyle Follmer; and one goaltender: Even Mosher.
Teams are allowed to protect as many players as they wish provided the players protected meet the guidelines as defined in the collective bargaining agreement between the ECHL and the Professional Hockey Players’ Association which state that teams shall retain the rights to each player that:
1. Signed a standard player contract in 2015-16 with the member team, and has not been traded or released, OR
2. Signed an SPC in 2015-16, and was recalled to the National Hockey League/American Hockey League or International Ice Hockey Federation team, and has not been traded or released, OR
3. Had received a qualifying offer last summer for the current season, did not sign an SPC, and has not been traded or released, OR
4. Has been suspended by the member team or the ECHL, and has not been traded or released, OR
5. Signed an SPC on or after the first day of the 2015-16 regular season, then subsequently signed an NHL/AHL contract, and has not been traded or released, OR
6. Has executed the ECHL retirement form, and has not been traded or released.
The ECHL also announced that teams must complete all future consideration trades by 2 p.m. CT on June 13 and that teams must submit their season-ending roster by 2 p.m. CT on June 15.
Season-ending rosters may include up to 20 players and cannot include any players who did not sign an ECHL contract in 2015-16.
The Mallards will open their twentieth season in the Quad Cities on Friday, October 14 at 7:05 p.m. against the Fort Wayne Komets at the iWireless Center. Mallards 2016-17 season tickets are now available. Season ticket holders enjoy significant savings of the walk-up ticket price and receive a host of exclusive benefits. For more season ticket information, fans can contact the Mallards at 309-277-1364 or firstname.lastname@example.org.